Nettle and mint pesto.
You can have Nettle and mint pesto using 7 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Nettle and mint pesto
- You need of Several large stems of nettles.
- Prepare of Generous handful fresh mint.
- It’s 4 tbsp of olive or avocado oil.
- You need 1 clove of garlic or tsp garlic puree.
- You need 3 tbsp of roasted peanuts, walnuts, cashew nuts or pinenuts.
- You need 1-2 tbsp of sunflower seeds.
- It’s 1-2 tbsp of parmesan or alternative hard cheese.
Nettle and mint pesto step by step
- Collect several large stems of nettles. Recommend you collect from your garden to be sure they do not have weed killer sprayed on them and wear thick gardening gloves! Using scissors, carefully remove the leaves. Discard the stems..
- Inspect the leaves for pests or anything else unsavoury and remove or discard those leaves. Wash carefully using a salad spinner..
- Put into a large pan and pour over boiling water. Continue to boil and carefully stir for 2 minutes to remove any stings. The leaves will begin to wilt in a similar way to spinach. Then put straight into cold water to stop the cooking..
- Using a salad spinner or clean towel remove as much water as possible. The texture of the leaves will have changed to a slightly furry texture but the leaves will not sting you anymore. Don't discard the water as this can be drank as nettle tea and is very nutrient rich..
- Add 3 tbsp olive or avocado oil and a generous handful of fresh mint leaves. Then add nuts and seeds. Blend using a food processor until smooth..
- Stir in finely grated parmesan or alternative hard cheese..
- Serve over pasta..